Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Slug tuned postwar table set, unusual?

I am in the process of reworking a 1946 Electronic Laboratories, Inc. (EL) 6 tube wooden table radio. Model 2701. Case shows wear but the chassis was clean and complete. The unusual feature for me, is that instead of a tuning cap, it uses a vertical rack system that moves ferrite slugs in and out of the oscillator and RF coils. I am about to give it a full alignment and have the data. How unusual is this style of tuning in consumer radios like this? I know that comm radios use this scheme to tune the preselectors sometimes, but I wonder what was the rationale for using this instead of the simpler var. caps? I know it is from 46, postwar materials shortages might explain the cheap enclosure, and the use of window screen for a speaker grille! And would explain why it has a combo. of carbon comps and dog bones underneath(latter actually cked OK). I recapped it and replaced resistors as needed. 6 octal tubes with an RF stage. It is a listener, not a showpiece! Window screen... Icon_biggrin

Messages In This Thread
Slug tuned postwar table set, unusual? - by tom2 - 07-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Re: Slug tuned postwar table set, unusual? - by tom2 - 07-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Re: Slug tuned postwar table set, unusual? - by tom2 - 09-10-2010, 09:01 PM