Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 116X in a 116 Tombstone cabinet

The two speakers are the same diameter, but you are correct in that the aft end is significantly heavier. Installing it without some kind of support would have been out of the question. Considering the investment that I had in the cabinet, well, the amount of money that I spent on it's initial purchase, anyway, I felt that it was worth the try. And besides, the idea intrigued me.......

Fifteen watts of power is indeed a fair amount for even a large tombstone like the 116B. But even though it is a "player" as are most of my radios, I never explore the max potential of them. Well, not how loud they will get, anyway.

HOWEVER, I still (thank God) get a kick out of tuning in stations from far away places at night when the "powerhouses" turn up the output. During the summer I was routinely getting Yankees baseball games on WCBS in NYC. That might not necessarily impress someone unless they also knew that I lived in North Carolina, or maybe it still might not if they were a Red Sox fan.

You might be interested in knowing that I did a similar marriage of kind of similar radios awhile back, in that I had a 16B cathedral cabinet and mistakenly purchased a 1935 year 16B chassis/speaker. Since I had had zero luck finding a chassis for the cabinet, I decided to marry the 1935 chassis to the earlier cathedral. The only mods to the cabinet were sleightly enlarging the hole where the tuning knob(s) went and new chassis bolt holes in the base of the cabinet. The result is what I feel a superior looking radio with the 1935-style knobs on all 4 controls and coarse/fine tuning. In fact, I like it so much that I have given up looking for a "correct" 16B cathedral.

My next project is a Philco 43B cathedral, with about 1/2" ground off the peak of the cabinet face. This ought to be good........

Messages In This Thread
Re: Philco 116X in a 116 Tombstone cabinet - by TA Forbes - 12-02-2010, 11:04 PM