Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 116X in a 116 Tombstone cabinet

I aquired a "basket case" 116 tombstone awhile back. After successfully removing the white house paint it was covered with, I discovered a cabinet worth restoring. Unfortunately the chassis was not worth the same except as parts. HOWEVER.....

I had a 116X chassis and speaker in excellent condition. Putting it in the tombstone was not difficult. The only "modifications" I had to accomplish were: (1) taking a round file and carefully filing a "notch" on the inside of the cabinet so that the balance potentiometer located on the side of the chassis would clear the cabinet; (2) gluing wood supports on each (in)side of the cabinet to support the crossmember that supports the heavy aft end of the 116X speaker. Note: you MUST adjust the potentiometer to balance the 2 6A3 tubes prior to inserting the chassis into the cabinet.
RESULT: an excellent playing and sounding 116 tombstone radio.

AFTER ACTION: I DO NOT recommend modifying nice original radios that should be left in as original condition as possible. BUT I am satisfied that in this case marrying a formerly basket case cabinet with a "homeless" chassis was the right thing to do.

Color me pleased....

Tom

Messages In This Thread
Philco 116X in a 116 Tombstone cabinet - by TA Forbes - 11-16-2010, 12:00 PM