Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

40-190 - suggestions on finishing

Hi,
You can use the toner on the veneer to get your color right. On the trim areas, You could use a pigmented toner. That will help hide the cheaper wood frains, while adding a walnut color. The dye toner on the veneer will let the grain show through.

I would suggest that you fill the grain of the veneer. Otherwise the walnut veneer doesn't look all that good with the deep pores of the grain still showing.
There are many Youtube videos showing methods to fill the grain. Don't use 'wood filler' they do make grain filler in either oil base or water base.The water base dries too fast IMHO, so when this runs out, I will use oil based.
You can tone the filler as dark as you like. I prefer a darker grain pore than the surrounding wood color.

Your set overall looks great. The grillecloth is good shape too. I'd only use a soft brush and fllick off the dirt. If you attempt to wash it, you rish it falling apart. I have had it happen to me. It looks ok as it is, blow off and brush the dirt off.

Using oil stains mixed with clear may work, but it does take a long time to dry.
Good luck with your set.

Messages In This Thread
40-190 - suggestions on finishing - by Beckett - 01-31-2011, 09:25 AM
Re: 40-190 - suggestions on finishing - by gary rabbitt - 02-07-2011, 01:49 AM