Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 16X - Problem With Radio Reception

I recently purchased a Philco model 16x console radio. It powered up fine, and the radio worked on AM, but the reception was very spotty, lot's of static, and the SW stations had no reception. So I obtained the schematics and I have now replaced all of the old electrolytic, paper, and bakelight capacitors. However, when I finished the replacements and powered up, I have no radio reception at all. The lights work, power seems fine with nothing smoking or anything, and the speaker is working as I can get some humm in it when connected.

I now wish that I had checked the reception after every single cap replacement to help isolate the problem. However, too late for that. I have checked and re-checked all of the cap values and my connections and can't seem to find the problem. Since I had to rebuild the support grommets and the rubber dial drives on the tuning condenser I thought I may have loosened a wire there somewhere, but again all seems to be ok.

Your thoughts please...can you point me to where I should be looking, the most likely location of the problem? Thanks very much, Sonny

Messages In This Thread
Model 16X - Problem With Radio Reception - by Sonnyboy - 02-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Re: Problem With Radio Reception - by Ron Ramirez - 02-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Re: Problem With Radio Reception - by Sonnyboy - 02-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Re: Problem With Radio Reception - by Ron Ramirez - 02-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Re: Problem With Radio Reception - by Sonnyboy - 02-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Re: Problem With Radio Reception - by Ron Ramirez - 02-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Re: Problem With Radio Reception - by Sonnyboy - 02-06-2011, 09:53 AM