Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Comprehensive radio rebuilding instructions

Hi,

I see a good many wonderful and innovative ideas used in keeping these old critters working. I'm wondering if there is a place here with some kind of step by step instructions on learning how to fix and upgrade a radio so it is safe to use and works well.

I can disassemble my Jeep down to a pile of nuts and bolts and put it all back together, but find electronic stuff confusing and mystical. I know the AM radio is not that complex and once I learn to identify the parts is will be as easy for me to overhaul a radio as it is to do a Jeep. (there are way fewer parts!!) Where do I start?

I can look in the Radio and identify tubes, speaker, dial/tuning mechanism, and a transformer, but beyond that, what all the metal cans and other components do is still a mystery to me. I know there are sections of the radio that perform the different functions like choosing a signal, receiving a signal and amplifying the signal to the speaker but I don't know how to identify what parts do what functions. To compound the confusion, I can identify a resistor or capacitor on a radio made in the last 50 years, but I have know idea what their "grandfathers" looked like.

So again I ask, where do I start to learn how to fix old radios?

Maybe Ron could host a seminar.......

Thanks,

Todd

AM 1530 Riverside Radio (my home AMT3000 station)

Messages In This Thread
Comprehensive radio rebuilding instructions - by jepstr67 - 03-06-2011, 09:17 AM