Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Can I just align an AA5 by ear?

I got my AA5 working. With a 25' antenna strung through my living room (something my wife 'loves' <sarcasm>) I can pick up all the local stations. I tried to align the radio based by messing with the radio until I got some stations, but then I went to look up how to 'actually' align it and I've found out I should have a signal generator and an oscilliscope, along with some other tools. I don't have these, so is it fine that I just align this set by ear?

What I've done is set the knob to a strong, local station and then aligned the RF stage and then the IF stage independently to make the radio sound strongest there. The rest of the local stations come in okay and the shortwave works (even with the 25' antenna - although I know I should have ~50 feet of antenna for good sw). The only problem is the bottom of the band, from maybe 550am to ~ 650am doesn't come in clearly and shortwave from about 9m to ~ 10m doesn't seem to pick up anything. I've tried to adjust it and all that happens is I lose everything!

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions that don't require oscilliscopes or signal generators?

thanks in advance!
-Brandon

Messages In This Thread
Can I just align an AA5 by ear? - by regel_1999 - 03-27-2011, 10:31 AM
Re: Can I just align an AA5 by ear? - by nash - 04-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Re: Can I just align an AA5 by ear? - by exray - 04-05-2011, 05:43 PM
Re: Can I just align an AA5 by ear? - by w4rtc - 04-06-2011, 09:37 AM