Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Restoring cabinet Philco 60. Need color references.

Hi all,

Been a while (many years) since I touched a radio. Life challenges are slowly clearing up now and I feel a little old radio fixing might offer some fun, although the true passion about collecting has died some time ago, I kept only the radios having a sentimental value; an Air King, Akradyne, Philco 84, Remler and the Russian radios to name a few.

I acquired a nice Philco 60 from a dear friend. The electronics has been masterfully restored by him (I'll post pictures when I have time), better than I could. He only left me the cabinet part to do- sigh-;o) Other than a few tiny pieces of veneer to fix, the cabinet is in great shape- aside from a worn finish-.

The actual color is a dark chocolate brown. I am used to two tones cabinets à la 84, but this one, even stripped, stays a dark brown all over the cabinet as if it was stained from the factory. The original Philco label is still affixed to front, so I am pretty confident the finish is original.

My question: is this a normal occurence for this model or am I looking at a side effect from aging in a difficult environment (nicotine etc.) ?

If someone has a similar model and is able to share pictures (original finish) as a reference it would be nice. Otherwise, I figure I'll strip and refinish with a walnut toning.
Not that I mind the color, on the contrary, but I like to refinish my keepers as close to original as possible.

Thanks a bunch,
Syl