Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Peaktop 16B---needs Work

The thin accent stripes should be ivory, as shown in the picture above. What you see in that photo are the original ivory accent stripes - unretouched by me. The only thing I did to that cabinet was to apply new Van Dyke Brown toner to the dark areas of the cabinet, where the finish was badly worn.

My goal with the cabinet above was to restore the dark finish while retaining as much of its originality as possible. Through careful masking of the walnut panels and the accent stripes, that goal was accomplished. The original decal remained in place; I did have to carefully tone the dark area where the decal is, to make it match the rest of the cabinet. That was the hardest part.

The walnut panels do look a bit light in the photo above, due chiefly to lighting used in the photo. I had rubbed them down somewhat with 4/0 steel wool, not removing any of the tone color but just enough surface finish to correct some of the surface flaws, in preparation for new clear lacquer. Once the new clear lacquer was applied, they looked fine, color was perfect. I regret that I never did take an "after" shot. But I have another 16B on its way here, and I'll take a picture of it after I work with its cabinet a bit.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
Peaktop 16B---needs Work - by Guest - 05-12-2006, 10:02 PM
[No subject] - by 49Stude63 - 05-17-2006, 12:57 PM
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 10-09-2006, 09:30 AM
[No subject] - by Guest - 10-09-2006, 10:30 AM
[No subject] - by ckc - 09-04-2007, 10:28 AM
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 09-09-2007, 09:47 AM