Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 47-1230

Well, I finished the recap on the 47-1230, did the bakelite cap, the electrlytics and all the paper/wax ones. Put the chassis back in the cabinet to test, hoping for the best, but not much luck. No smoke, so I guess that's good Icon_biggrin ! But not much else. FM band gets one station all the way across the dial, only a couple of stations on BC and SW bands, this is with the internal cabinet antenna hooked up. I ran it for about 5 minutes and noticed the 6V6 tubes were VERY hot, even the bases, so I shut it off. I have the service manual from Chuck, thanks, and am going to pull the chassis out and start the troublshooting routine and checking test point voltages. I suspect the voltages are too high. Couple of questions before I start: Do I pull the tubes out for the testing of the chassis? Can resistors be tested while in the circuit or do I need to remove one end? Will it harm anything if I power on the chassis without the speaker attached? It looked like part of the circuitry runs through a choke or transformer which is part of the speaker. When resistors age or go bad does the resistance go higher or lower, or do they just open? Hope I haven't gone in over my head on this one, only my second recap job. My first one was a Telefunken table top console, Opus 7084W, and everything went guite well on that. I just bought an extra 47-1230 chassis on ebay so I'll have something to compare to and get the few parts off that I need.

I just answered one of my questions: The first line in the troublshooting section of the service manual says "CAUTION Do not power on the set without the speaker connected....." Icon_redface

Messages In This Thread
Philco Model 47-1230 - by Guest - 06-04-2006, 04:37 PM
[No subject] - by Terry Judkins - 06-05-2006, 07:23 AM
[No subject] - by Guest - 06-05-2006, 05:16 PM
[No subject] - by Terry Burns - 06-06-2006, 11:04 AM
[No subject] - by Chuck Schwark - 06-06-2006, 01:36 PM
[No subject] - by Guest - 06-24-2006, 03:33 PM