Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Midwest model 181

Good evening everyone,

I'm new to this forum and look forward to absorbing the abundance of wisdom on these pages...and hopefully one day contribute my own.

I found this unique Midwest model 181 on the local Craigslist and would like to know your collective opinion on its potential and value. I haven't purchased it yet, because the owner is getting an appraisal from a local antique dealer. That will probably mean big $$$.

It's been in the same family since new. The owner's grandmother purchased it in 1941.

I don't think it is a common model; never heard of it before. ( I've heard of Midwest, just not this model ) It does have a separate tweeter built in the speaker frame. It's tube count is 18, including the eye tube. 4 6V6's for output. It also has the 78 record player. The tuner bezel is a type of plastic that has shrunk a little over the years. Overall, it does not look to have been electrically molested. Both speakers will need to be re-coned and I'm sure a full recap is necessary before applying power.

The cabinet is solid, also. No veneer lifting. It will need a good refinishing, however. I was thinking I should offer around $125-$150, if the appraisal isn't too far off. Is that in the ballpark, or am I nuts?

Paul

Messages In This Thread
Midwest model 181 - by amglow - 09-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Re: Midwest model 181 - by codefox1 - 09-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Re: Midwest model 181 - by TA Forbes - 09-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Re: Midwest model 181 - by Eliot Ness - 09-10-2011, 01:04 PM