Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Veneering Questions Specific to Philco 41-280 (and similar)

Good day!

The cabinet restoration on my once-lovely Philco 41-280 is progressing well. The cabinet was generally very sound with no evidence of water or dampness damage, even so, I took the thing apart breaking it down into its basics to facilitate stripping and all that hand-sanding.

The original veneer on the big curved side panels was badly chipped at the rear edge (on both panels). I poped off the old veneer and will re-veneer with paper-backed mahogany that I selected at my local Woodcraft store for its excellent grain match for the rest of the cabinet.

Of course, the 'photofinish' on the two upright pieces that flank the speaker opening were boogered up... yuk.

So, on to my two questions...

1. While I have considerable experience, I have never veneered a panel quite so 'curved' as these from the Philco. Any particular tips, techniques, or cautions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Similarily, I would like to remove the photofinish [paper] and veneer the upright with real wood. But the profile of these uprights is "S" shaped and the radius is pretty tight nearest the speaker. Has anybody successfully veneered these upright pieces? If so, I'd love to know how you did it.

Many thanks!!

Rob

Messages In This Thread
Veneering Questions Specific to Philco 41-280 (and similar) - by RFP - 10-27-2011, 04:56 PM