Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

World's First All-Transistor Phonograph developed by Philco-1955

I am kidding on some of that but my big attraction is the amp and just how it sounds as Dad gave me one of these amps for Christmas ~1956 when we lived in Mexico City for 2 years and at the age of 6 I pretty much destroyed it and then all my 'toys' were left behind in the move up to NorCal in '57 when Dad was transferred to start Philco in Palo Alto. I have a bunch of RCA 45 players and I know how they sound and expect less from this, but with external input it sounds pretty darn good for what i is, so if I could hide some modules inside retaining the case intact and phono parts etc.

I saw all that conformal coating on the back of the board and the clinched over leads so didn't even want to try unsoldering from the back for the one cap, the .01 is the only other and probably not too critical maybe for anti oscillation? not sure- doesn't seem to be a problem and the volume is back! Confusing why it all seemed to be working and then looked athe position of the 40 @ 3V in the schematic . . .

Dad worked at Philco until '70 when he died on the job of a heart attack, I miss him dearly but the Philco legend carries on!

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1955 Philco TPA-1 or TPA-2 - by Ron Ramirez - 04-03-2012, 05:25 PM
RE: World's First All-Transistor Phonograph developed by Philco-1955 - by PhilcoFordTesla - 11-17-2019, 06:06 PM