Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Another 47-1230 restoration?!

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to the forum and just picked up my very first radio project a Philco 47-1230 in pretty good physical condition but not playing. The bad news is I didn't know that I wasn't to try powering it up without some preliminary checks and repairs.

The good news is that the blue smoke genie didn't come out of anything and no weird sounds or smells came out just some humming and occasional small pop from the speaker.

After trolling this and some other forums I finally removed the chassis from the cabinet this afternoon and got hold of the electrolytic caps I think I should replace.
I also got the Rider drawing from Nostalgia Air, and I am all set to get to work. Are there any other things I should be wary of before I start playing around with it?

I look forward to getting to know the board and its members. I picked the unit up for my mother to put in her living room and it was a sweet looking cabinet that would look nice as a piece of furniture if nothing else, and I figured I would look into repairing it for her. What I didn't expect was to be as interested in this hobby as I am. I suspect this is the first of many old radios coming through my door. Pray for my wife... Icon_wink

One cannot forbid people to be idiots....all one can do is try not to be one. -Morzh

Messages In This Thread
Another 47-1230 restoration?! - by LedHed - 01-27-2012, 07:43 PM
RE: Another 47-1230 restoration?! - by LedHed - 03-25-2012, 07:20 PM
RE: Another 47-1230 restoration?! - by TA Forbes - 03-25-2012, 10:50 PM
RE: Another 47-1230 restoration?! - by LedHed - 03-25-2012, 11:06 PM