Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Another 47-1230 restoration?!

Welcome to PhilcoLand! I took a quick look at the schematic and good news is this chassis has a 5Y3 tube rectifier instead of selenium rectifiers or voltage doublers used in some Philcos produced around the same years. Replacing selenium rectifiers can be challenging indeed to some beginners, tube rectifiers are much easier to service. The other good news is all the info on nostalgiaair is complete for your restoration with parts list, nice schematic, etc. Should be a good project for a beginner, and hope you catch the vintage radio repair bug the rest of us here have also!
Since this is your 1st restoration, you will have questions. The best techs are here to help you indeed. You will need to replace all the capacitors one at a time. The parts list at nostalgiaair pages has all them listed. You can get all the new capacitors needed including the electrolytics from http://www.justradios.com . They have great prices and the newer smaller sized capacitors fit much better than the originals. For a beginner, I would recommend adding a terminal strip or 2 under chassis to add the new electrolytics caps, and relocating electrolytics wiring, resistors,etc. under chassis and associated wiring connections, leaving the original electrolytics cans on top of chassis in place making sure you take the originals completely out of service. A tube manual or nostalgiaairs tube diagrams can be used to make sure all your original tubes filaments still have good continuity, use each tubes keyway on the base, and count pins numbers clockwise. Best of luck with your restoration, and hope my tips help to get you started in the right direction. Welcome to the forums!!

Messages In This Thread
Another 47-1230 restoration?! - by LedHed - 01-27-2012, 07:43 PM
RE: Another 47-1230 restoration?! - by LedHed - 03-25-2012, 07:20 PM
RE: Another 47-1230 restoration?! - by TA Forbes - 03-25-2012, 10:50 PM
RE: Another 47-1230 restoration?! - by LedHed - 03-25-2012, 11:06 PM
Re: Another 47-1230 restoration?! - by Texasrocker - 01-27-2012, 11:10 PM