Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Kindly Help Identify a Philco Combination

Hello all! Here's why I joined. I'm 72 and have lived all my life in the suburbs near Philadelphia. Most of the many radios in our home were either Philco or RCA. My father would buy at least one new radio a year. Old ones would go to relatives. The "crown jewel" was a Philco combination that sat in our living room, along with two to three other radios. Yes, Dad loved radios. He built and used a spark-gap transmitter in West Philadelphia in the teens. I still have his Atwater-Kent model 33, in excellent condition. Alas, the Philco is long gone. This combo had rounded front corners, all controls and record changer under the lid. Radio was on the left with a large round dial (orange, of course) and a clever control that could be turned quickly plus a smaller vernier control. Now the best! On the right, sitting down lower was a beautiful changer that was all brown crinkle paint and chrome. The part that held the records lifted up to a verticle position where you just pushed the records on. Then you would lower it to horizontal and start it up. Those 12" 78's would make quite a "thud" when they dropped. I also remember that the front of the tone arm flared out to about 2" to 3". Quite wide around the cartridge area. The cabinet was very modern-looking for the time. I would greatly appreciate it if a member might have any photos of such a unit, especially the changer, which was so unique. TIA! Len

PS: As I grew up in the early forties, I assume this model was bought probably between about '38 to '41.

Messages In This Thread
Kindly Help Identify a Philco Combination - by lgench - 02-07-2012, 10:12 AM