Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Late 91 police band question.

Hey everyone,
My latest project is a late model 91 cathedral which is turning out to be a bit of a headache! Lot's of previous attempts at repair to undo along with an open shadowmeter coil to rewind mean a ton of fun for meIcon_crazy.
I have a question. Is the old "Police" band on this model even used for anything anymore? This is why I'm asking. When checking over my set I found that the on/off switch no longer works (cheap part, it only lasted 80 yrs!!!!Icon_lol). No problem, I have an 89 parts radio with the same switch! Well, I guess there is a problem! That switch no longer works also!!! So I read in the tech section here that this switch is often bad on this modelIcon_cry! But, good news! There is a workable modern replacement switch available from Mouser electronics along with a wiring diagram! Hooray!!!!!! So, I order said switch and my worries are at an end, right? Well I recieved my switch and upon opening up the box I find out that this switch is made almost entirely out of PLASTIC!!!!!!!!!!! Shaft, Housing and allIcon_wtf!
Now I know that this switch should work just fine and maybe it's just the purist in me talking, but I'm having a real problem convincing myself to install this plastic monstrosity into my 1930's brass and steel technology radio! I know, I know, after it's done it won't be seen, but I will know it's thereIcon_lol!
My thought is if that police band doesn't do anything, I have a regular style on/off switch from an early model 71 chassis That i could use and just bypass that band all together.
As always, any input will be greatly appreciated- even if it means telling me that I'm nuts and to just go ahead and use that (yuck) plastic thing!!!! Thanks!
Kevin

Messages In This Thread
Late 91 police band question. - by 37silverstreak - 03-22-2012, 07:38 PM
RE: Late 91 police band question. - by LASJayhawk - 03-24-2012, 05:08 PM
RE: Late 91 police band question. - by TA Forbes - 03-24-2012, 11:34 PM
RE: Late 91 police band question. - by LASJayhawk - 03-25-2012, 11:33 PM
RE: Late 91 police band question. - by TA Forbes - 03-26-2012, 04:27 PM
RE: Late 91 police band question. - by Arran - 03-26-2012, 08:33 PM
RE: Late 91 police band question. - by Arran - 03-26-2012, 08:39 PM