Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco secretary radio question

Hi Ron,
You're right, I should have clarified that point. It was word of mouth in about 3 cases. First time was in the mid 60s when dad found one of these and was trying to figure it out. Dad wasn't a radio guy but liked to repair all kinds of things. This radio intrigued us all.
He knew a guy that owned a radio/TV shop back in CA, and was the first to give his explanation of how the set was used. Again from word of mouth, he said that he personally knew of a lady that used one set that way. Supposedly, the boss was a "neat freak" and wanted nothing but "necessary" things on the desk. She could have the radio, but not on the desk Icon_smile
You are right, it could have been placed on the floor for use, but wasn't Philco's original intent.
The other times was at a radio swapmeet in CA in the early 80s when I actually started collecting. Perhaps this was just something the guys also heard over the years. One of their comments I remember was that they had to use such a large rolling knob so that the ladies would have no difficulty adjusting or tuning.

The ad is cool, I've never seen that one.
If I ever find somethng documented about it I'll pass it along for sure.
Take care,

Messages In This Thread
Philco secretary radio question - by DKinYORKpa - 05-14-2012, 05:19 PM
RE: Philco secretary radio question - by Jayce - 05-14-2012, 06:27 PM
RE: Philco secretary radio question - by Arran - 05-14-2012, 07:19 PM
RE: Philco secretary radio question - by Jayce - 05-14-2012, 08:50 PM
RE: Philco secretary radio question - by Arran - 05-31-2012, 10:12 PM
RE: Philco secretary radio question - by gary rabbitt - 06-03-2012, 05:52 PM