Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Type 611 in New Zealand

Hello I am new to the forum.
I have been looking to try and find out a bit more about this radio set that I recently purchased from an online auction here in New Zealand.
I understand that the model numbers for units outside the United States don't follow the same pattern as the US models.
According to radiomuseum.org it was built from 1950
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philco_611_2.html

It is working and picks up local AM stations.

I will come clean at this point and state my intentions with this radio:
I am not an enthusiast on old radio's or Philco in particular, the purpose of my purchase was to try and find an old style radio cabinet that I could adapt into an active loudspeaker. Essentially I want to renovate the enclosure, remove the innards and replace with a Tripath digital amp and possibly a new loud speaker.

Before I do this heinous act I wanted to gauge whether the radio was worth something to somebody. I bought it for next to nothing on an auction site, there is another identical one, in apparently better condition but costs twice as much, still not a huge amount but it was located further away (so I could make a matching left and right speaker, but I would rather have two dissimilar ones).
I don't intend holding this one to ransom, I am not looking to make money by selling it on but I wanted to make sure that I won't regret dis-assembling the piece. If it would break anybodies heart for this to happen, where should I offer the whole thing or the electronic parts and tuner that I will not use for sale or collection?

The cabinet is in need of some renovation, it looks as though somebody has begun the task of sanding the top but not got far. There are some specs and smears of white paint in places. There is still the original hardboard back although none of the screws holding it in place match. The inside is an insect cocoon hotel. It doesn't appear to have been eaten by grubs and beetles.
There is a label on the back of the enclosure that is barely legible and looks like instructions to a service electrician on removing the back.
The knobs and tuning glass need a clean.
The speaker cloth is faded but not torn.
And finally the electronics work.

I will take some pictures if anybody would be interested seeing it.

Messages In This Thread
Philco Type 611 in New Zealand - by davida - 08-24-2012, 05:01 AM
RE: Philco Type 611 in New Zealand - by davida - 08-25-2012, 04:45 AM
RE: Philco Type 611 in New Zealand - by davida - 08-25-2012, 06:46 AM
RE: Philco Type 611 in New Zealand - by davida - 08-25-2012, 07:00 AM
RE: Philco Type 611 in New Zealand - by davida - 08-25-2012, 10:53 PM
RE: Philco Type 611 in New Zealand - by davida - 08-26-2012, 02:13 AM