Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

started (at last) to refinish my 47-1230

I've had this radio for quite a while. Last summer I focused on making the amp work like a champ.

This summer, I've been pretty much busy at work, and spent vacations working on the house.

Today I removed the chassis, speaker, grill cloth and started work on my cabinet. At last.

I figured I'd post pictures of the progress...

This is before removing anything:

This is before starting to strip it:

I know it looks pretty good on pictures, but the finish was pretty damaged in several area; it seemed like it was badly exposed to sunlight. I think someone tried to SAND the top at some point, and to use furniture stripper on the side. I'll see how it turns out.

I started to strip with "circa 1850" with 0 steel wool - I tried it last summer on a smaller radio and was satisfied with the results, but it seems to take a lot longer than I anticipated to strip everything out.

I worked on it about 2-3 hours already. I think I spent about half my circa1850 bottle and 3/4 of my steel wool pack.
I got done was most of the top, and most of the grill area: I decided it would be a good idea to focus on the most visible areas first...

Other than patience, are there anything I should be aware of?

-Mars

Messages In This Thread
started (at last) to refinish my 47-1230 - by Marsupial - 09-02-2012, 07:39 PM