Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-690 Missing amp and 14" woofer

I had no choice but to adapt an existing amp to the tuner chassis. Finding an original amp is almost impossible. (Certainly not at a reasonable price) This will get the radio in working condition. The jukebox amp I chose was a good choice as there is lots of room on and under the chassis to add the necessary extra components. As I mentioned in a previous posting, I might eventually build a copy of the original amp if I can find some scrap Philco radios from which to salvage the transformers. In any case, the connectors that connect to the tuner must be fabricated, as originals are unavailable. The only alternative would be to cut off the existing tuner connectors, and use modern connectors. This is unacceptable, as the originality of the radio would be further degraded. If I acquired an original amp, I would be unable to just plug it in and make it work. One never knows what one might find at swap meets and yard sales-I never expected to find this radio at a yard sale for $25.00! Fortunately, I recognized it for what it is, as I have read about, and have seen pictures of this radio before.

Messages In This Thread
38-690 Missing amp and 14" woofer - by peteivan - 10-31-2012, 01:01 PM
RE: 38-690 Missing amp and 14" woofer - by Arran - 10-31-2012, 09:27 PM
RE: 38-690 Missing amp and 14" woofer - by peteivan - 09-12-2013, 10:59 AM