Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

No signal through Philco 45

Well, SUCCESS, yee-haw! Local AM talk radio is coming through ! I checked everything MrPhilco suggested, and one of the two new caps I used to rebuild bakelite block 22 was shorted to ground, as evidenced by both sides of resistor # 56 showing continuity to ground. I disconnected 56 and 57-both were good. That led me to check for a shorted #22. Sure enough, one of the two caps I used to rebuild the bakelite block was shorted to chassis ground. I pulled the block out of the chassis, the cap was still shorting out of the chassis. I looked inside, and one of the + wires from the original cap in the block was still in there touching the ground connection. I cut that wire out, reinstalled the block, and WA-LA, Dr. Joy Brown is coming through almost loud and clear before alignment. Moral to the story-ALWAYS make sure when rebuilding your philco bakelite blocks, that not only do you get the old caps out of the block, but ALSO any wire fragments from the old caps. THANK YOU RON!! I never would have looked where you directed me. There is so much talk about the Philco coils being bad, I pretty much figured that would be the problem.
P.S. Yes, I did replace flexible WW resistors 8 & 21-also, all the Micamold caps. They were Micamold brand, and I tested them on my Sprague TO-6, and all of them were leaky. It's now standard practice for me to at least check any mica caps for leakage.
THANKS AGAIN,
Ed Martin
WV

Messages In This Thread
No signal through Philco 45 - by don'tdomelikethat - 11-01-2005, 09:05 PM
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 11-02-2005, 12:07 PM
[No subject] - by don'tdomelikethat - 11-02-2005, 03:50 PM
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 11-02-2005, 06:08 PM