Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Buzz/Static - Philco 91 type 126 Restoration Help

First let me say thanks to everyone that has assisted me so far.

The radio will pick up a few strong local stations now faintly and they come through the speaker with a significant amount of buzz / static.

I am using a 20 foot long wire antennae.

My question now is: How can I proceed to clear up the buzz / static and get the sound to come through clearer now that I have made it this far? I also get an intermittent beep through the speakers that is not part of the over the air broadcast.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. You all have been very kind and patient with my silly questions thus far and I appreciate it.

Repairs thus far include:

1) Replaced all capacitors including the electrolytics, all bakelite blocks, all filter bank capacitors in metal boxes, the caps in the tone control. Used correct safety capacitors for the line to ground caps. The only capacitors I did not replace were the various compensating capacitors around the radio.

2) Replaced all resistors in the radio. So were still right on some were off and had drifted in value, but all were replaced.

3) Replaced any and all wires I could see that had bad insulation or in some cases were nibbled by mice and had no insulation.

4) Speaker was completely rebuilt by the "Speaker Shop" in Lima Ohio. I thank them for the excellent job they did reconning and refurbishing.

Notes:

A) Tube fillaments all glow and the 80 tube and two 42 tube get fairly hot (like a light blub) but don't seem to be getting excessively hot.

B) I have made an attempt to provide air space between wires under the chassis (were it looked logical) but see no arcing sparking or other problems indicating any insulation issues.

Messages In This Thread