Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My Philco 51-T1601

My grandparents had this same TV only with a brown cabinet, the 16" round glass picture tubes used in this model had phosphurs that gave a notoriously yellowish brown picture.
I sadly lost out on an exact mate to your Philco which included a factory UHF tuner in place of the center Philco emblem. Early on when my grandparents set needed repair
the Philco dealer must have had a full test jig for this model as he would take either the left or right chassis only leaving the CRT only took whichever side he suspected
had the problem. Very sensitive receiver. Normal VHF reception of stations close to 200 miles with an antenna very popular in New England in those days mounted about 30' AG in coastal New England. It was called a "Five in line" or "New Englander" Looked exactally like the three element Amphenol with two additional high band parasitics on the front. Only other place I ever saw them used was in Iowa. New England had many antennas that seemed to be very unique to the area including one very popular called a clipper, solid rod very short boom conical with a full length parasitic dipole on the back with with short high band parasitic in front of the conical. These were commonly stacked on 20' guyed masts in Southern NH and Maine. There are still many in place on the three deckers of Worcester and Manchester, NH. In Providence and all over RI and SE Massachusetts the most commonly used antenna during the 50's and 60's was another unique NE antenna called a "Bat Wing". Rotors were also very common in the above areas, unusul in most places until the advent of color and UHF in the late 60's

Messages In This Thread
My Philco 51-T1601 - by 37silverstreak - 02-02-2013, 02:50 PM
RE: My Philco 51-T1601 - by Arran - 02-03-2013, 08:55 PM
RE: My Philco 51-T1601 - by chris25260880 - 02-04-2013, 12:49 AM
RE: My Philco 51-T1601 - by Tim Tress - 02-09-2013, 02:54 PM