Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

OK... so now I have one, what do I DO with it?

An update:

Finally got both of the chassis in. The power supply/amp showed up yesterday. The tuner chassis showed up today.

After subbing in a few electrolytics, I brought it up on the variac. All the tubes lit up except for the 6B8, which appears to have an open filament. It also appears to have an internal short, since when it's in the socket there is no reception at all. When I pull it, it comes to life.

The only issues I can see, other than still needing to replace all the paper caps, is that the front end (antenna tuning circuits) don't seem to be working. The set is very sensitive otherwise, as it picks up more stations than any other radio I have just off the top of the RF amplifier tube. But, connecting an antenna to the input produces no difference at all. I'll try to figure that out tomorrow.

I will need some pieces: all three of the lamp holders, at least. And a new dial, as the one on the radio is missing a large chunk.

The one thing very amazing is that I find the dial to be spot on on all bands. Add to this, the AFC circuit is working. It may need a little tweak, as it pulls in better on the low side than the high side of the signal, but it's quite effective. The IF control also works, but is noisy, I suspect the pots that are at the end of the adjustment shaft.

Any pointers will be gladly accepted.

Icon_smile

Messages In This Thread