Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Jr. Model 81 Volume Circuit

(03-09-2013, 10:53 PM)Bill Bacco Wrote:  Beautiful work Terry!

After some playing around, I have made a few minor changes to the Model 81.  The changes are shown in the attached drawing (highlighted in green).  The changes helped normalize the volume adjustment quite a bit.  It is also quite a bit more linear.  Prior to this, there was very little volume control range, especially with strong stations.  I have adjusted the sensitivity, based on the strength of the stations in my area and don't appear to have any overloading issues.  The size of the resister across the Antenna coil may need adjusted based on the strength of the stations in your area.
Hi Bill:

Just completed the changes to my volume control you recommended.  I am completely satisfied!  I can now control the volume on all strong stations and actually receive more stations than I did before making the changes.  Your drawing is simple to follow. I was real disappointed when I had the radio restored, bakelite caps stuffed, etc., only to have stations so loud that I could not listen to it.  Grounding was not an option, as there was no way to get to a ground rod.

Thanks Much!

Jay

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco Jr. Model 81 Volume Circuit - by Jay Thomas - 03-10-2015, 06:24 PM