Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 91 finish questions

Gee, that cabinet looks familiar! You know, I still haven't given the cabinet its final rubdown nor have I put the chassis back in. I need to do that.

Anyway, to answer your questions:

1. Basically yes - Medium Walnut for the body including top, sides, and outer front surround - Perfect Brown for the inset front panel.
As for the bottom trim and the trim surrounding the inset front panel, I've seen Philco sets done two ways - some have the extra dark walnut on the trim, but a majority did not. Of those that do not, they carry on the Medium Walnut on the trim surrounding the front panel, and the bottom trim. And as for which models had the real dark trim, there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason - the same model could have been done either way, depending on the cabinet maker and/or the mood of the cabinet department that day.

The trim on my 19B is really too dark. It should be something slightly darker than Perfect Brown, but I do not know at this point what shade it should be. Mohawk's color chart is all but useless.

2. No, never wipe the lacquer after spraying! Carefully spray on and let dry. It will take two, maybe three coats. If you can manage to get the front panel out of the cabinet, it makes things a lot easier - then you can just use the Perfect Brown on the front panel, and Medium Walnut on the rest of the cabinet. Once finished including the clear coats, and thoroughly dry and rubbed out, then reassemble.

3. Yes, definitely.

4. While it appears that the original finish was hand-rubbed gloss (which means that once the final clear coats were applied and allowed to dry, then the cabinet was hand-rubbed to give it its final smoothness and sheen), many collectors prefer semi-gloss as a final coat. High gloss lacquer is better stuff.

I'm not a cabinet expert - hopefully some of our more experienced fellows such as Steve Davis, Bob Anderson, and others will give their thoughts here as well.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
Philco 91 finish questions - by Colonel Travis - 03-31-2013, 12:30 AM
RE: Philco 91 finish questions - by Ron Ramirez - 03-31-2013, 07:14 AM
RE: Philco 91 finish questions - by Steve Davis - 03-31-2013, 09:30 AM
RE: Philco 91 finish questions - by Steve Davis - 03-31-2013, 03:09 PM
RE: Philco 91 finish questions - by Steve Davis - 04-01-2013, 09:06 AM