Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New here w/q's re: Replacing '66 car radio pushbuttons

BILL Wrote:HI:
I restore auto radios , how bad are your push buttons? , If they are not all cracked , you can restore them with very fine sand paper and finish polishing with BRASSO , you 'll be surprise how nice they come out , first try just the BRASSO if there are no deep scraches or chips , The buttons where originally heated and placed on the metal shafts they would then cool down , to remove them you could try to heat them , offen I'll use a sodering gun, getting the old ones off can be a job! , then boil water put your new push buttons in the boiling water heat them up and then push them on the shaft . 66 is a little newer than the radios I usually work on , I do not know of repo buttons, for it , is this a "T" bird or truck ?

Hi Bill,

Thanks so much for your reply. This radio is for a Mustang. I've used 00 steel wool on the pushbuttons that aren't too bad but some of them have nicks in them and should be replaced. I'm glad you told me that they were applied with heat because trying to remove them is a real chore and I couldn't imagine they just snapped on. I'll try your heating method to see if I can remove them.
Also, do you know what the connectors are called that attach to the car's power source? I've been calling them bullet connectors but I think there's a different name for them. I bought some bullet connectors and they kinda/sorta work but I don't think they're correct.

Thanks again for your help. It's appreciated !

Steve

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 05-13-2007, 01:18 PM
[No subject] - by BILL - 05-16-2007, 10:10 AM
[No subject] - by Guest - 05-16-2007, 10:27 AM
[No subject] - by BILL - 05-17-2007, 11:12 AM
[No subject] - by Guest - 05-17-2007, 12:55 PM
[No subject] - by Guest - 05-17-2007, 12:56 PM
[No subject] - by BILL - 05-25-2007, 04:30 PM