Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Potential fire from hot resistor?

Measure the voltage across the resistor and you can calculate the power (wattage) dissipated. You can use the nominal resistance for the calculation--it's close enough. If you want to be super accurate you can measure the actual resistance after desoldering one or the other lead.

E=IR, so I=E/R, and Power = I squared R. Power should be half of the rated value or less. If you are super concerned about the heat, you could buy a power resistor from Mouser or Allied that bolts to the side of the chassis and uses the chassis metal as a heat sink. It will run cooler than your power resistor, but the metal of the chassis will get a little warm. If you buy one of those, check out the derating specs of the resistor. They will often advise derating at 4 times the rated power or more, so if your resistor dissipates 3 watts, buy a 10 or 15 watt power resistor.

I think that's a better solution than drilling a large hole. But my guess is, Philco engineers did their homework and your resistor, assuming it is not defective or degraded, will be fine.

John Honeycutt

Messages In This Thread
Potential fire from hot resistor? - by ODPILOT - 05-02-2013, 08:20 PM
RE: Potential fire from hot resistor? - by morzh - 05-02-2013, 08:47 PM
RE: Potential fire from hot resistor? - by morzh - 05-02-2013, 10:38 PM
RE: Potential fire from hot resistor? - by Raleigh - 05-03-2013, 11:58 AM