Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 620 w/Brush Hushatone WWII Hospital Radio?

Last week I saw a Philco 620 for sale at an antique mall. Today I went back and bought it. I hesitated because it had been painted white a very long time ago and I figured it would be a pain to strip. The white paint is that old thick stuff from way back. I also noticed a small hole had been drilled in the side of the cabinet and some sort of bakelite accessory had been tied into the speaker wire.

I got it home and started tearing into it and I found that the bakelite accessory is called a "Brush Hushatone", and there is an on/off toggle switch connected (explains the hole in the cabinet). I googled "Hushatone", and find that these were pillow speakers attached to hospital radios during WWII. This was so soldiers could listen to the radio without disturbing their hospital roommates. This probably explains the white paint too.

So, I think my new Philco may have been used by some GI's who were in the hospital during the war. I think this is really cool and it makes the radio special to me. I am glad I went back and got it. My grandpa served during WWII and was injured on the Saratoga.

Other than the Hushatone and white paint, everything looks original. Even has the original chevron grill cloth. Only one tube tested good. The speaker is perfect.

The radio is coated in paint stripper as I type this. I'm going to restore it, but now I think I'll keep the Hushatone in it. I really wish I had photographed it before I tore it down.

Anyone ever hear of a Hushatone? Anyways, I'm new here and haven't posted much, but I thought you guys would like this.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Messages In This Thread
Philco 620 w/Brush Hushatone WWII Hospital Radio? - by Jamie - 08-02-2013, 07:13 PM