Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

They said it couldn't be done...

... but I finally did it. Meet my Philco 90 Highboy. It cost me almost $300 total to get it all here, but it's here. Seems that once the base is removed, a simple matter of four screws, the top half will ship through USPS no problem. The bottom half should do equally well, but the seller opted to take the base apart on this one and did some damage to it. As you can see, I've managed to reassemble it. The chassis is just sitting in there. It works, and sounds marvelous, but I do still have a bit of work to do before I call the chassis done. Waiting on Chuck's service lit for that.

Also, note that the cabinet is a mess. I've only just begun stripping it, starting with the top. There are some missing pieces of veneer, and I'm not sure what I'll do about those. My choices are: 1. Do nothing, 2. patch the relatively small spots with wood filler, and 3. Try to put all new veneer on. I do have some, though I don't think it's the proper type.

Now.. let us see if anyone has a similar radio for sale that I can buy and get here, and not take 8 months. Icon_smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
They said it couldn't be done... - by BrendaAnnD - 09-13-2013, 07:06 AM
RE: They said it couldn't be done... - by Jamie - 09-13-2013, 07:23 AM
RE: They said it couldn't be done... - by Jamie - 09-13-2013, 04:46 PM
RE: They said it couldn't be done... - by exray - 09-13-2013, 05:24 PM
RE: They said it couldn't be done... - by EricS - 09-17-2013, 08:45 AM