Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 38-116XX

A poor example of what could be a very fine set...with a LOT of work...

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/..._front.jpg]

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/ebay/38116_back.jpg]

In "The Latest Philco Save" thread, Frank wrote:

Quote:Ron,
What code is your 38-116? I just finished mine, and it was a code 121; the one with the older style RF deck with trimmers on the bottom. If you's is a code 121, could you see what type 'W' speaker it has? I'm still stumped why mine came with an output transformer that has a primary resistance that does not match the schematic while the code 125 transformer does match resistance wise.

Keep us posted on the progress. I think these are very interesting Philco consoles. A lot of them are around, they are a bit of a challenge to restore, but they are very good performers. Overall, they could be the bargain high end Philco for today's collector.

Frank, mine is a Code 125. I'll try to take a closer look at it later today. "49Stude63" is going to replicate a couple grille bars for me, but the real cabinet work won't take place until next spring since warm weather is ending today in my area.

I guess they could be considered bargains, depending on your definition of bargain...nice examples of 38-116 sets often bring $400 and up, mostly up. Most collectors realize what an excellent performer this model is, with the added benefit of High Fidelity sound.

EDIT: Paid a whopping $35 for the example above. It had no escutcheon, no dial scale, not even its Automatic Tuning mechanism. The original speaker connectors are gone, replaced with Molex connectors (!). Fortunately I have an extra Type W speaker with its original connector, and a junk chassis which will yield a mating connector. The cap that covers the rectifier tube socket is also missing. This will definitely be a major project, both cabinet and electronics.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
Model 38-116XX - by Ron Ramirez - 11-15-2005, 10:53 AM
[No subject] - by 49Stude63 - 11-15-2005, 12:19 PM
[No subject] - by zenith82 - 11-16-2005, 07:05 AM
[No subject] - by 49Stude63 - 11-16-2005, 05:01 PM