Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Aftermarket indoor antennas in the 1930's?

I was looking around on EBay and found a seller who was trying (hopefully out of ignorance...) to pass off the wire "Mystery Control" pickup loop for a model 39-116 as an "aftermarket loop antenna with hardware". I set them straight as to what they really had, but it got me wondering: were there any aftermarket (or even OEM) indoor antennas made for the various late-1930's Philco models that were set up for long-wire or balanced outdoor aerials?

I have to say, such an item would be not only an interesting addition to my collection, but also it would fill a real need I have. I live in my parents' house, and they don't want me drilling holes in their walls to run antenna and ground wires outside. The only ground I have available is the mains ground, but it, too, is hard to use since our outlet boxes are the newer plastic sort so I can't just use the screw(s) securing the faceplate to the box. The few times I have used the mains ground for other radios (by using a broken-off ground prong soldered to the end of the ground wire), it proved to be electrically noisy due to all the RFI generating devices in the house, from the wi-fi to the CFL bulbs in the lamps, to even the HVAC motor when the heat or A/C kicks on. I have heard that loops are good for rejecting QRM like this...

Messages In This Thread
Aftermarket indoor antennas in the 1930's? - by Rich K. - 11-29-2013, 08:47 PM