Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Getting My Feet wet.

I was wondering if anybody knew of some good reference books that will help me get started in repairing tube radios and some theory. I am attempting to restore a 42-PT-7. She works, but I want to rebuild her. I know that the paper caps go bad, but visually I see no signs of bulging or blistering. Keeping it original is not as important to me as to learning how to do it. I have gone through and cleaned it out with some fine paint brushes, and some compressed air. I put some dielectric grease on the tunning drum shaft, due to the fact that it was stiff. The rubber coated wires look good but since they have not been touched I know as soon as they are they will crumble. I did replace the A/C cord with a non-polarized cord so thats safe. The one thing that I know I need to replace is the volume control. More times than not when I turn the radio on, the volume swells and can not be adjusted. I would assume that this would be the problem? And also when I turn the set on the dial light is really bright..then dims down a bit comes back alive but does not get as bright when it is first turned on. Any idears on that one? I am handy with a soldering gun, and running wires, and trouble shooting. I''m sure that I can use some of my skills as an electrician, and apply them to this. The tools I have, DVOM, Soldering guns/pencils. tons of pliers, (some blown apart LOL) and I am getting a tube tester Eisco 625 on Monday. Thank you for your time. Rich

Messages In This Thread
Getting My Feet wet. - by Guest - 10-27-2007, 09:37 PM
[No subject] - by wonderwrench - 10-28-2007, 11:26 AM
[No subject] - by Texasrocker - 11-01-2007, 10:35 PM
[No subject] - by jsaxe - 12-21-2007, 04:57 PM