Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help ID parts Canadian Model 91H

The CBC did not exist prior to 1937, so I'm not sure what the "License Fee" was supposedly for prior to that time. They abolished the radio license scam in the early 50s in part because few people seem to have bothered buying them. Why the limeys continue to pay fees to keep the beeb alive I will never know, they have had private TV networks since the mid 1950s. There may have been some electrical differences between a Canadian Philco 91H and a U.S 91H but they were probably minor changes to meet electrical safety standards. Also there may not have been as many revisions of the Canadian built 91s as opposed to the U.S built 91s, but I don't think they amended the circuits as much with Code # this or that back then. I have the Canadian Philco 91 service data and I am positive that it's pretty well the same as the U.S 91 electrically. It's a fairly decent radio actually, with a push-pull power output amplifier stage using a pair of #42s, so quite loud. It's an updated version of the Philco 90 circuit using more "Modern" 6.3 volt tubes.
As for the speakers they are not ruined, the 8'' one can be reconed and the 10'' repaired by careful hands. As for the missing bits like the escutcheon that's a little more difficult, as is the cabinet repair. The cabinet may be one thing that is different from the U.S built 91H as Canadian Philco quite often used regional cabinet makers rather then making them in house.
Also for a P.C case you could always find an empty console radio cabinet, there are plenty of those to go around with no chassis to match up with on craigslist and at yard sales.
Regards
Arran

Messages In This Thread
Help ID parts Canadian Model 91H - by TRusselo - 01-02-2014, 10:21 PM
RE: Help ID parts Canadian Model 91H - by morzh - 01-05-2014, 06:20 PM
RE: Help ID parts Canadian Model 91H - by Arran - 01-06-2014, 12:57 AM