Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco model 47-1230 console Need Help

I have been restoring the electronics and cabinet of this unit for some time now as a heartfelt gift of time and resources for my neighbor and friend. the radio belonged to her grandfather. So far I have refinished the cabinet, reconed a badly damaged speaker (through my club njarc), replaced missing knobs, replaced the electrolytics and all paper caps and replaced a number of resistors that have floated in value. I have alligned the BC, FM and SW and alligned the pushbuttons. The radio does not have a working record player.....looks like someone attempted to fit in a replacement that would play newer record types other than 78s. It was never connected and is in bad condition and not worth the trouble.
Here is my problem....the radio still does not sound right..I know and believe that it should sound much better. I have heard demos of this radio on youtube and it sounded much much better than this one.
Here is what I belive to be the culprit at this point. The transformer and speaker all test out ok. I followed the testing procedures in the manual that I obtained and the voltages were high for Section One and manual indicates that it could be (among other things) a faulty T200 - Transformer Output Part 32-8274. The Schematic indicates 240 Ohms and I am reading 750 ohms. Now I tested the resistance while still attached but do not believe that this should matter.
My question for the Phorum is does this sound like I am on the correct track or am I off track. I still consider myself to be a novice and much of this is still abover my head but this has proven to be a great learning experience. If it is a bad output transformer, can I find a replacement somewhere...where....thanks much for any and all help or suggestions.

Messages In This Thread
philco model 47-1230 console Need Help - by victor3d - 01-05-2014, 02:34 PM