Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco model 47-1230 console Need Help

OK.......I thought that I should post my progress on my friends grandfathers phico that I have been working on for feels like a year. Perhaps my progress will encourage someone else and also this post should serve to thank those who reached out and helped. After trying everthing I could think of to remove or find the cause for the distortion in the radio including speaker recone, replacing al of the caps and a lot of resistors, alignment about 5 times, rebuilding the bakelite block, checking out a drifting tone control which is way out of spec but not the problem, spraying and cleaning and of course checking all the tubes, corectly wiring and replacing the three lead cap going to FM section....etc etc. Each time I thought that I had nailed it down. I finally bit the bullet and went wire by wire, connection by connection, capacitor by capacitor, resistor by resistor...i made and interesting and incredible discovery...ha. I began to find first resistors that had drifted..then I began to find resistors that were wrong value by factor of 10 where someone may have read an orange band for a red faded band....then mistakes between the parts list and the schematic values in a few cases where I used deduction to choose what I belive to be the correct values, then wires going where they should not or no wires at all, then about five or siz caps missing and five or six resistors completely missing. End of story, this radio now plays incredibly well, I have learned so much about radios and this model in particular. I consider it a testament to this radio that it even played at all and did not blow up....ha,

Now, two questions....

1. in all of the specs I could find no voltage readings to the tubes etc...only troubleshooting requireing not the measuring of voltages but hooling up complicated equipment to test and not a multi meter...is there such literature or am I missing something.

2. I would like to complete the restoration by installing a record player....I know the original was only 78rpm....is there a replacement that someone can recommend that would fit right in, attaching to all fo the conections without having to rewire the entire radio (which is beyond me)....thanks again to all and it is great to have a site like this....this was my first Philco and I have a new found respect to them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: philco model 47-1230 console Need Help - by victor3d - 02-19-2014, 09:58 AM