Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 91 Shadowmeter question

Hey everyone,
It seems to be shadowmeter time on here Icon_lol! I had to completely rebuild the coil on my 91 shadow meter, form and all. I followed the instructions on Chucks site- 1000ft of 40 gauge magnet wire for about 1100 ohms. The vane moves freely and when I applied 9 volts to the coil the vane deflected and snapped back to center when voltage removed, so everything appears good. After rebuilding the chassis and reinstalling the meter, when I turn on the set the shadow appears narrow in the window and then widens as the set warms up which I believe is normal. The problem I am having is the shadow narrows only slightly on a strong station, but not nearly enough. I read that this can be caused by the set being out of alignment, so I did an alignment and the set plays super, lots of stations all over the dial and very loud, but I still don't get much deflection on the meter. does anyone have any input? I don't need the meter to work to enjoy the radio, but with all the work I put into that darn coil it would be nice!!! Thanks!
Kevin

Messages In This Thread
Philco 91 Shadowmeter question - by 37silverstreak - 01-05-2014, 03:18 PM
RE: Philco 91 Shadowmeter question - by hsusmann - 01-05-2014, 04:31 PM
RE: Philco 91 Shadowmeter question - by Mondial - 01-05-2014, 07:24 PM
RE: Philco 91 Shadowmeter question - by Mondial - 01-06-2014, 10:26 AM