Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average

Model 89 Restoration Suggestions

I started another thread back in summer regarding restoring a Model 96 Lowboy, and am finally ordering capacitors to do so. I have since acquired a Model 89 Code 121 and would like to order capacitors for it as well. I assume I should start with the Bypass bank, Part # 08824 as well as the tone control capacitors. I'd appreciate comments regarding these replacements, and suggestions for anything else I should replace before connecting the Model 89. I now have a Variac to do this.

Also, the Model 89 speaker cone is in tatters, and the cabinet has de-laminated and is chipped badly. I haven't decided to follow through on restoring it and won't until I can try it out and determine how much effort and expense it may require. In the meantime, is there a temporary/test speaker/setup I might use to try this radio? The Model 96 speaker appears to be in wonderful condition, though I don't know that it functions, would it be an acceptable substitute? If not, are there more modern speakers I might temporarily use before deciding to have the original re-coned, provided it's transformer and electromagnet are likely to function appropriately?

Thank you.

Messages In This Thread
Model 89 Restoration Suggestions - by TN Allen - 01-11-2014, 05:16 PM
RE: Model 89 Restoration Suggestions - by morzh - 01-11-2014, 06:03 PM