Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Getting back into my 20

Hello everyone. I decided some routine upkeep is in order on my model 20, and with it being too cold outside to do anything it seemed like the perfect time to climb into it. I'm planning on rewinding my RF coils first off. They work now, but everything I've read here says I'm living on borrowed time.
Second, I plan on replacing my power cord to the set. It's very brittle. I'm leaning on replacing it with a three conductor cord to provide the necessary ground I need for the set. Found some period-correct three conductor cable, but having a difficult time finding a suitable wall plug for the line. Anyone have any suggestions? This leads to the next question. Since I will be using a 'dirty' ground I thought I would install some pre-set filtering. I'm considering adding Y line to ground filter caps, and an X across the line cap to pre-filter the line voltage. I can get safety caps for this. Since I'm not as experienced in electronics, I'm asking your opinions on this. Do you think this filter arrangement will be enough to knock down any RFI I might encounter on my service? Also, what value do you think would be adequate? Last, and probably most daunting, I'm thinking of re-coning my type K speaker. I'm considering doing this myself. Anyone know a good source for speaker cones for this set? My speaker currently is more patches than original cone, and I'm hoping a new cone will improve its' performance. I've also thought of replacing with a PM speaker, if this ends up being cost prohibitive. I'm not so concerned with being original authentic. This was my grandparents' radio. My grandfather was quite the tinkerer, and would probably have done upgrades to the set if they would enhance its' performance. I am making every effort to keep the cabinet original, but the inner working that won't be seen can be modified as needed. Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions. Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Messages In This Thread
Getting back into my 20 - by GarySP - 01-19-2014, 11:47 AM
RE: Getting back into my 20 - by morzh - 01-19-2014, 01:44 PM
RE: Getting back into my 20 - by GarySP - 01-19-2014, 02:07 PM
RE: Getting back into my 20 - by Phlogiston - 01-19-2014, 02:44 PM
RE: Getting back into my 20 - by tab10672 - 01-19-2014, 02:47 PM
RE: Getting back into my 20 - by GarySP - 01-21-2014, 09:15 AM
RE: Getting back into my 20 - by tab10672 - 01-21-2014, 01:22 PM
RE: Getting back into my 20 - by GarySP - 01-22-2014, 12:21 PM