Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Philco model 70 rebuild - by Tim P.

The adventure has begun. The parts have arrived and I have started the recap part of the rebuild. So far, I have rebuilt the line filter (47) and (34) of the bakelites. morzh's trick of using a heat gun to warm and push the guts out with a small allen wrench works good. I got the new caps in and those bakelites back in. I checked the resistors around the #34 bakelite. The #32 & 35 resistors show they should be 250k. They both check about 400k (.39 & .41 meg on my meter), and the #35 to the speaker plug checks about 55k. Neither look like they have been hot, but looks like the value is off quite a bit. Seems I read somewhere these old resistors creep up in value. What do you all think? Replace these? If so, I dont know if this type of resistor is still made, or if I will have to use modern replacements.

Another note, I ordered the yellow tubular caps from AES, which so far, fit into the bakelite blocks, but the larger ones for those metal cans under the chassis are too large around to fit, so I need some flat poly caps. I have some, but they are only rated at 250v, which I feel is marginal. This might save someone else from making the same mistake I did.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

Messages In This Thread
Philco model 70 rebuild - by Tim P. - by TV MAN - 01-29-2014, 10:46 AM
RE: Philco model 70 rebuild - by Tim P. - by TV MAN - 02-08-2014, 02:25 PM