Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 60 coil problems

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to radio restoration, and I just started working on a beautiful Philco Model 60. My other previous experience with Philco was restoring a 37-610 which had been in my wife's family.

Looking around the chassis, I've noticed that the 0.7 Ohm police band section of the antenna coil is open, as is the 3.4 Ohm section of the oscillator coil. I understand that these are fairly common problems. The 1st IF transformer also appears to be a mismatched replacement.

A few questions I was hoping someone could help me with:

1. The cans appear riveted to the chassis, but the coil separately bolted beneath. Am I able to simply remove the coil from below without grinding out the rivets?

2. I've been reading that there is a nitrocellulose insulation layer between the primary and secondary coils that is the root cause of the coil breakdown. Should I plan on replacing this? Any suggestions for material?

3. The first IF transformer has been replaced with a more modern 455 kHz IF can. This one seems to have caps built into the can, but the leads still run to the compensating caps on the chassis. I'm fairly sure I can make it work one way or another, but are there any sources for original parts? This appears to be the only replacement part in the entire radio, and the purist in me would like to see it complete.

Any other tips or tricks for coil repair would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Roger

Messages In This Thread
Philco 60 coil problems - by Roger Cole - 04-04-2014, 08:27 AM
RE: Philco 60 coil problems - by PAradiogeek - 04-04-2014, 08:16 PM
RE: Philco 60 coil problems - by skyscraper - 04-04-2014, 08:34 PM
RE: Philco 60 coil problems - by Roger Cole - 04-09-2014, 07:29 PM