Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Your opinions, please...

Yeah...I know I've been a little absent in this bandwidth for a while, but I'm still out here. Icon_smile

It's been a while since my last radio find of any kind, let alone a Philco. It's just one of those things...you get busy with other stuff, not to mention running out of room to put them. Gee, has that happened to anyone else here? Icon_lol

Over the weekend, we were browsing through a nearby antique mall, and I ran across a model 42-340. The asking price was $45, and the vendor had a 20% off Valentine sale, which would have brought it down to about $36.

The condition wasn't terrible by any means - a few scratches on the top, the bottom paper veneer was intact and in good shape, all the tubes were there, it had a tag that said it "works" (excuse me a moment... Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol ), but the major knock against it was the dial. Although the glass wasn't cracked, there were several points in the reverse lettering where the paint was flaking off, and I wasn't looking forward to dabbing paint on the dial, then living with a blotchy job if I screw it up.

To be honest about it, I could have lived with it the way it was, but that's what scared my wife off from it. I suppose Rock-Sea (or whoever took them over) might have a replacement for it, but it might not have been worth going to that extreme.

We decided against taking it, but I'm willing to bet it'll still be there for another week or two.

I thought the asking price wasn't that bad, and if I decided to fix it up and sell it, odds are I might not break even if I was lucky, given the way the economy has been going.

What do you guys think?

Bill

Sent from my Pentium II on the AT&T Dial Network

Messages In This Thread
Your opinions, please... - by Bill Hutchinson - 02-19-2008, 01:47 PM
[No subject] - by Texasrocker - 02-19-2008, 11:18 PM
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 02-20-2008, 07:04 AM
[No subject] - by Bill Hutchinson - 02-22-2008, 05:13 PM
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 02-22-2008, 06:52 PM
[No subject] - by Texasrocker - 02-23-2008, 02:24 AM