Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Your opinions, please...

I have a "remedy" to repair hard to find glass dial scales! If the orig dial-glass has a "clean break" no little shards missing, I have successfully repaired several using clear "4-mil" window film!! I carefully apply the clear window film across the rear side of the orig dial glass,( very sticky adhesive!)... and it holds broken pieces together, and allows for dial-lamps to illimunate as original! Similar too a giant piece of thick scotch-tape, but has to be applied with water activating the adhesive on the window film! I repaired a broken hard to find 1936 Crosley radio dial for one of my customers a couple yrs ago, and they were VERY happy!! My primary business has been installing pro-quality window films since 1978. Commercial Bldgs, Residential homes, Automotive, RVs, etc!! I CAN repair vintage radio dialglass also, it the "break" is clean!!! I also pay attention to not applying too much water (activating clear film adhesive),.. to faulter the orig stamped ink dial scale printings! Each vintage radio glass "broken", dial scale is "case by case" basis for restoration!, depends on how bad the break is!!... but I have had great success in restoring them where they can be used again with "strength added" for successful mounting into orig radio hardware!! I would be more than happy to assist restore this broken dial glass if you wish!? I also make my own replacement plastic dial covers for vintage radios, and they look as good as the ones I used to purchase from the BEST online sources!! I purchased many myself, until I learned how to get the same quality, making them myself!! I now stock PETG type clear plastics, custom cut forms to "heat form" vintage radio plastic dialcovers, and stock the orig "correct" size brass eyelets to mount the new covers in their orig brass escutcheons!! If I can help "mend" the broken glass vintage dial-scale, let me know!! My services are "minimum wages"by/hr, and actual rtn. shipping charges to sender!! I have "plenty" of the clear 4-mil glass film here in my shop, and more than happy to help fellow vintage radio restorers!! I have also repaired several vintage "crusty"- "crumbling"...vintage plastic Philco dial-scales, in the past that had cracked pieces!! My "4-mil" clear film holds all pieces together, and allows for re-installation to the front shafts of the orig tuning condensers! These type "tedious repairs" takes lots-o-concentration, but I haved saved several hard to find vintage radio plastic & glass dial scales!! I would be more than happy, to help anyone get their hard to find "broken pieces", fully usable again!! Sincerely, Randal Icon_smile

Messages In This Thread
Your opinions, please... - by Bill Hutchinson - 02-19-2008, 01:47 PM
[No subject] - by Texasrocker - 02-19-2008, 11:18 PM
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 02-20-2008, 07:04 AM
[No subject] - by Bill Hutchinson - 02-22-2008, 05:13 PM
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 02-22-2008, 06:52 PM
[No subject] - by Texasrocker - 02-23-2008, 02:24 AM