Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Wire wound resistor

Yes, is there a difference? Icon_lol

Dang iPad, I print what I think and it prints what it wants.

Yes, there is... Cope reminds me of copa... uno copa gelato...

A dope and a cop will somehow cope.

Copa, Copacabana.

Nyet, replace the resistor after determining why it fried.

Cops fried it. For the dope. Or so I hope.

Hello everyone. Since you're all running out of rhymes anyway, I thought I would answer Mike's earlier question. I researched the data on corona dope, and couldn't find what it's thermal properties were. However, a company called MG chemicals makes red insulating lacquer. It offers insulating level of 3100v per mil, and thermal protection to 155 C (311 F). If the resistor is still within specs this would probably do the trick. So, skip the dope, don't mope, never give up hope, even if you're at the end of your rope, run to the supplier at a steady lope, and pick up a bottle to try. Could I find a rhyme to end the last sentence? NOPE!!! Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

...for a probe (in the sense of investigation). Not quite but will do Icon_smile

I used corona dope about 23 years ago, once, when I had to hand-wind a pulse transformer that was supposed to withstand 5000V p-p and it id but I saw corona on the transformer's pins, so I used it.
Worked well.

But it did not impress me as a heat-resistant, hence the doubt here, especially in light of the fact that we are not looking to achieve high voltage insulation, so withstanding voltage is not one of the requirements.

In fact I wonder if a simple thing like a touch-up enamel for gas ranges is what would work.
I used it to paint my ballast tube when restoring my Stromberg Carlson AA5, and those get pretty hot, and it stands to heat well (it is intended to).

In my particular case,this voltage divider is not prone to the corona, but to the overheating, should things go wrong as in the past, hence the dope is not a choice.I checked the resistance, it is within the norm and I am leaning toward leaving the winding open, sacrificing only in appearance (after locating the problem, of course), unless the replacement part comes around. After all, an open winding will provide the best heat dissipation.
However, the exercise in the poetry is, indeed, quite impressive to say the least.

Once the cause of overheating is found and fixed, I would coat the resistor with JB Weld. I have fixed chipped power resistors with it before. It can be brushed on like thick paint, and once cured can withstand over 500 degrees. It will be runny for an hour so watch for drips.
I would think you could even dab on some clean coarse sand to the surface before it completely sets to make it look more original.

Suspicious voltage divider resistor? Ditch it. Not worth the hassle. I spent almost 3 months tracking down an intermittent that was the result of one of those things. Yes, resistence checked fine, yes, voltage checked fine, no, didnt work fine. Save yourself the headache, replace it, use the time you could waste looking for a mystery problem and work on some radio poetry Icon_wink

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

I'm finally convinced that once a bad segment, alwys a ba segment on a chassis mounted wire wound resistor. Well, you can drill out the rivits, get rid of the thing, mount a terminal strip, get a set of modern sand stones, dress correcectly, fix everything else, and only a museum curator, or posibly Ron could tell.