Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Old finish removal

I'm getting ready to refinish my 39-55 Mystery radio and I was wondering what is the best product to use with out taking the patina out of the wood.
Is Formby's a good choice or is there a better product. for the second question is, What did Philco use as a finish or is there a better product. inquiring minds want to know.
Bob.

Hi Bob

The original finish was tinted lacquer.

Medium Walnut toning lacquer as sold by Mohawk, Behlens and Master's Magic is a very good substitute. Just stripping, using stains and clear finish is not a good solution; the final result does not look like the original. Toning lacquer DOES look like the original finish.

As for what to use to strip the cabinet, it boils down to personal preference, I think. A lot of guys use Citri-Strip but it does take a lot of elbow grease, time, and patience to strip a finiah, especially a console radio.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Robert Wrote:I'm getting ready to refinish my 39-55 Mystery radio and I was wondering what is the best product to use with out taking the patina out of the wood.
Is Formby's a good choice or is there a better product. for the second question is, What did Philco use as a finish or is there a better product. inquiring minds want to know.
Bob.

Best stripper I've used (aside from Nina) is called Circa 1850. It's a gel type. Works fast and keeps the patina and grain filler. I use a cheap paint brush, brush a thick coat of gel on a small section (about a square foot), wait 5 minutes then remove the old finish using 00 steel wool. Repeat once or twice. Let dry, use 0000 steel wool on the cabinet prior to refinishing to smooth things out. As for the rest, Ron is right on the money. I prefer Mohawk as it is easily available and results are predictable.

Here's a radio I did for a neighbour. The trims are slightly darker than should be but that is was he prefers. All done with Mohawk lacquer in spray cans and Watco clear lacquer. I used two cans of Mohawk toning lacquer and 3 cans of Watco clear gloss. I did not have to fill the grain.

I took the picture before the correct grille cloth was replaced.

[Image: http://www.oldradioz.com/restoration/philco_650.jpg]

Syl

Syl;
That is one great looking radio.