Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Capasitor blocks ?????

I just picked up this Philco model 3650 radio ..That is the Canadian version.. the American one is 650.. The radio does work.
I am having a real challenge with those blocks.. The schematics I have are hard to read and they don't show where the blocks are
Is there a site where I can get more information about these blocks.
I need to know what caps are inside each block.
Also, are the electrolytic caps grounded to the chassis ?
Any information would be a help..
Thanks Dan

Attached Files Image(s)

Hey Dan:
It will be the same as the US model 650 so just order an info pack from Chuck and you will have everything you need including a nice clear schematic.

http://www.philcorepairbench.com/schematics.htm

Gregb

Dan, you can get a much better schematic and all the service bulletin info from Chuck for just a few bucks...well worth it. See: http://www.philcorepairbench.com/schematics.htm .

Lots of info on the block capacitors can be found at: http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/blocks.htm

I've not worked on a 650 so others with actual experience will surely chime in to help you as you go along but looking at the schematic it looks like only the 10uF section of cap#77 is grounded to the chassis. The 8uF section of #77 and also the 8uF #78 are not grounded.

Dan, visit the Philco Repair Bench site, open the section titled Philcp radio parts values, then open the section on bakelite blocks. Everything you need to know is right there. Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Thank you for the information.. I sent in an order for the schematics
From chuck.

OK, dont want to hijack the thread but since were talking capacitor blocks I have a question about the capacitor blocks. In my 89B code 123 I cant seem to find the exact block on the philco repair bench parts site. For instance, There is a 4989 block that says on the schematic it is 4989-DG, on the block itself it says it is 4989-AH but neither one is on the site to tell me any info about it ( there are of course different 4989 number/letter combos). Does the last letters make a difference in voltage specs, etc? , and why does the block say different than the schematic... it makes me think they last two letters aren't very important or they changed it at a later date, but if so isn't there info on it? Another thing is the philco repair bench site talks about them having more than 3 lugs on the block but mine only has 3 lugs on it, as does the other blocks that I can see offhand, am I missing something? Thanks for any info.

Hey Dan, is your radio the one that was for sale in Lethbridge?

Gregb

Yes Gregb, It is the one that was for sale in Lethbridge.
I was down there for my great granddaughters birthday and I picked it up.. the cabinet needs to be refinished but everything else works. I ordered a knob from mike, but I can't remember who has the Chevron grill cloth that is the same as the original. I guess I will go through all the suppliers who carry it.

Warren

Chuck's bakelite block page does not list every bakelite block ever made. For that, you need the book [b]Philco Condensers and More[/i] by Ray Bintliff.

http://www.antiqueradio4.com/Merchant2/m...ry_Code=BL

Very handy to have near the bench. Icon_thumbup

As for your blocks being different from the Philco service bulletin data, remember, Philco always made running changes to its sets while in production...and the changes were not always published.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron, I guess I will need to get the book so I can make sure I order the right volt caps.. It's to bad Philco didn't include the voltage of caps in the parts list. I was able to look on the caps on the last radio i did to find voltages, but looks like you cant do that when they are in the blocks..

Dan, I think its Kenny Richmond that has the cloth your looking for.

Gregb

Warren, 630 volt caps are fine as replacements for the capacitors that were in the bakelite block containers; really, there is no reason to use anything rated higher as nearly any bakelite block cap will never see more than 250-275 VDC.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I don't think you'll find any detail printed inside the block. Usually they are just 'plain brown wrapper' caps. Go with Ron's advice.

Exray is right...the only thing I have ever seen on a cap pulled from a bakelite block is a two digit number that obviously meant something at Philco when it was made, but is meaningless now.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

OK , sounds good. I did notice on chucks bakelite block page some of them went up to 1000 or 1200 volts but if you say I will be safe with 630v, thats good enough for me. Thanks guys again.