Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Have just bought backelite 38-12.

No, not 8-foot on a curb. 4 feet. ISTA3 is the FedEx approved test.
But the more the better.

When I got our device from the test, still packed and brought that in the lab, everyone gathered to see it unpacked, I smiled and tossed it up and let it fall on the floor, that was about 8-9 feet uncontrolled free fall.
Then we opened it.
It operated.

It is a fiber filament-type splicer with a micron precision. And it weighs about 30 lbs packed, with display mounted etc.

I have UPS pack and ship all of my radios and I haven't had an issue since I started with them. They are very generous with their bubble wrap and have never double boxed a radio. Both Bakelite and wood. I've had buyers send me instructions on how to pack. I'm always happy to read their opinions.Icon_wink

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

I once had UPS pack and ship two Predictas. Both sets survived the trip intact.

UPS packs very professionally.
Not cheap. But reliable. And, if they packed it, they will not ispute a damage.

Well, thats what they told us.. 8 foot. Probably so there would be no problems.

Well...guess what, the radio hasn't shipped yet, the seller looking for an appropriate box.
I hope it is a good sign, otherwise I had that happened before with a 16 where the seller got a bad case of cold feet after researching shipping for a few days Icon_smile

The radio came Tuesday.
The first quick look did not find any problems.
Yesterday I did a thorough inspection and again did not find any damage.

Which is a small wonder as the girl's idea of double-boxing was obviously different from mine.
I explained to her in detail how to pack and she kept asking for clarifications, and seemed to understand and herself suggested using bubble instead of peanuts (which I agreed upon) between the boxes.....only to substitute them for used plastic bags (supermarket type) that upon compression would not even amount to 1/4", and even though she left 2" on the sides....those were left and right sides, and not top and bottom where there was barely 1/2" on either.

But she got lucky, the box at the door looked so untouched and clean (she bought a new USPS box too!) that it almost seems like the UPS was hand-carrying the whole thing all the way using kid gloves!
So, well, with the radio intact I left the positive feedback.
I mean, she did mean well and she tried, besides getting plain lucky.

I however wrote her a letter after leaving the feedback explaining to her her mistakes and advising not to rely on luck for the future.

Well, now I have a 38-12CB.

PS. This said, who makes good repro dial glass for those? The 38-12 regular won't do, it is glass and flat, and this one is plastic and it is stamped. Mine is really yellow and opaque although fully intact, besides being a bit misshapen (natural thing I guess).

They don't use glass, they use plastic dial covers.
Mark Palmquist in Georgia sells them - you will have to order the PT-30 cover (same dial cover).
http://jmpalmquist.home.comcast.net/~jmp...entory.htm

Or you can make your own at a significant cost savings - ask Kirk (OldRestorer), he has done this.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron

Yes, I used "glass" figuratively, it is plexiglass. Yellow and wavy.

I found Mark this morning and wrote to him, see if he answers. he does not have 38-12 or 38-15 of any variety there.

About Kirk - good idea, it slipped off my mind that indeed he had done that in the past. Provided he does not use recycled blueberry pint poxes Icon_smile or empty Poland Springs water bottles. Or saran wrap.
But Kirk, though he thinks otherwise, should be out of commission for a while, and I think he should take it easy. I am sure he is walking upon the roof again as we speak.
Kirk, get off the roof!

No the dial lens was not Plexiglas or Lexan or any of those, it was molded celluloid. If the original is crack free, and is not warped, you can remove the yellowing and scratches with a proper cleaning and some plastic polish. You can still buy clear celluloid, they now call it acetate, but the fellow at the plastics shop actually recommended using clear vinyl sheet as it's cheaper and molds easier, $2 verses $6 a sheet. They use it to make chocolate molds using vacuum molding.
Regards
Arran

I am sure it would be a somewhat simple mold to make but I would need the radio which would make it not worth it. I would say try to make it or just spend the $18.00 when we go to K-town or buy it online and pay the shipping. I'll send you the plastic. Measure the hole, maybe one of my other molds will fit?

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Kirk,

Sooner or later I am coming for you anyway Icon_smile

And I am trying online, just no one has replied so far and I have not seen any cover for it.

Like I said, Mike...if you order from Mark, ask for the PT-30 cover. The PT-30 cabinet is identical to the 38-12CB bakelite cabinet.

I have an almost complete set of the variations of this cabinet...38-12CB, 38-12CBI, 38-14CB, 39-3A1ACB (Canadian), 40-90CB, PT-30. Missing the 38-14CBI, 38-15CB and 38-15CBI. There are also three Tropic variations, which I will probably never find: 40-710T, 40-2710T, 41-705T. Plus a battery operated Canadian variation: 39-3B4CB. I'm undecided on whether to (eventually) continue collecting these, or to just let it go with what I have.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron, I looked, he has it.

If someone tells me how that cleaning works that Arran mentioned, I would like to try it first, always prefer to keep original if possible.
If it is too difficult or I ruin it trying - will buy a repro.

I have used Novus to good effect on cloudy dial cover plastic and it has done OK. I just had a UPS nightmare. package held at terminal, my instructions disregarded when I phone the UPS call center, box then returned against my instructions to shipper, then returned to me before it got back to shipper! It looked like it went 10 rounds with Ali, I cringed when it came. The shipper saved it as he 2x boxed, bubble wrapped up the wazoo and it was all fine. You have to pack and presume the worst will always happen.

Good luck with your set.

Paul

Tubetalk1