Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Basket case 37-630

Thanks Mondial. That is a great explanation.

Last night I rewired the pilot lamp socket that illuminates the dial. Thanks Ron for the detailed instructions on the Philcoradio siteIcon_biggrin

I also need to rewire the lamp for the shadow meter, but I have a problem there. At some point in the past, the glass bulb of that lamp was broken. The problem is that the metal base of that lamp is still latched inside the lamp socket.

There is a rather slim amount of metal from the base of the lamp that extends past the socket. I tried grabbing that with needle nose pliers and twisting it out, but the light wouldn't budge. Does anyone have a hint or trick that can be used to turn the bulb base within the socket. I'm worried about deforming the socket if I pull and twist too hard.

Thanks.

Jon, you might try putting your needle nose pliers down inside the base and spread them open while trying to unscrew the base.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Steve,

I tried as you suggested, but couldn't manage to turn the lamp base. Then I tried sticking a large flat-blade screw driver in there and the base actually turned fairly easily. I appreciate your idea though. I'm not sure I would have thought of trying to turn it from the inside without your input. THANKS!!

I rewired the lamp socket as well as the entire shadow meter cable assembly as three of the four wires were badly cracked. Radio still works, but I seem to be out of lamps. Will have to wait 'till tomorrow and do a Radio Shack run to make sure the shadow meter lamp works.

Jon

Can anyone tell me the correct type of lamp to use in this radio? I have installed a #47 lamp (6.3V, .15A) for the dial, but it just doesn't seem to be bright enough. I get the 'pointer' beam from the lens which looks pretty good, but there isn't enough light coming through the window in the rear screen to really illuminate the dial area around the pointer enough to read the numbers. The bulb is positioned behind the dial correctly.

Is there another bulb type that is brighter, or is the problem that my dial has aged and has become more opaque?

Thanks

Use a #55 lamp for the dial. A #47 will not be bright enough.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Excellent. Thank you Ron.

OK, after almost 3 months of work she's done.  Here is a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAe4HkenfvQ

Thanks to all here who offered their assistance and encouragement along the way.
Jon

Looks great Icon_thumbup Nice styling on that set.

Jon:  I am attempting a restoration of the same model radio and wonder if you would share what you did to replace the candohm.  Thanks.

Glenn

GRG,
I didn't see this right away, Then I had to go find my notes as I did this ~6 years ago.  Here is how I did it. 

I used two terminal strips.  These are shown in the image below as the two horizontal 'bars' with three nodes.  Between the two terminal strips, I mounted the resistors.

On the far right, I mounted two 400 ohm 10W resistors in parallel.  This should give you 200 ohms, which is close to the 202 needed.
In the center an 8 ohm 2W resistor,
On the left, I mounted one 30 ohm 5W, and one 5 ohm 5 W resistor in series to give the needed 35 ohms.

Then you have to connect the two lugs at bottom right(#2), and the two lugs shown at top left (#3) with wire.

The numbers shown next to the terminal lugs correspond to the numbers shown on the schematic shown in the left of the image.

The terminal strips that I used had mounting lugs at the far left, which I used to mount to the chassis side wall.

Hope this makes sense, and good luck.

Jon

Jon:

That is really helpful and points to the fact that I need to make better notes myself.  My memory gets more clouded as the years go by!  

Can't wait to get back at it.  I'm pretty new to this hobby since retirement.  The radio was a Christmas present from my son and I hope to get it up and running so I can show it off to him when times are better. 

Thanks and stay well.

Glenn

GRG,

You're welcome.  Yeah. notes are really helpful.

Another good idea is to take pictures of the underside of the chassis before you change anything.  Then you can refer back later if it's ever needed.  I thought I would have taken an 'after' picture of the candohm.  I looked around, but I don't seem to have one.

Congratulations on your retirement.

Jon