Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 39-116

I hope this message doesn't come up 3 times in a row I think I messed it up before, anyhow my wife stumbled on a Philco 39-116 at a consignment shop-I havent seen it yet. She said the cabinet was a little rough and I need to investigate further. The price on it is 39.00. The thing that raises my eyebrow is this is one that is set up for the mystery control. I just wanted to get more experianced opinions on this before I think about jumping in. I am a new member to the phorum but like it very much as educational and people with same interests willing to help.

Bart

Hi Bart, and welcome!

You can't go wrong for $39. Icon_smile

The radio will be very difficult to service. It is not for the novice. But it can be done.

Besides all of the rubber-covered wiring, you will have to deal with the stepper unit and associated electronics, which changes preset stations and makes the volume go up and down when using the remote.

Read Chuck's Mystery Control primer on his website.
http://www.philcorepairbench.com/mystery/index.htm

Good luck with the set.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron-upon checking further, the set is rough and also missing the mystery control. I think I will pass and leave it up to sombody better qualified to do it justice. I will have my hands full for a while restoring my 42-395